[Logo] Jaikoz and SongKong Forums
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Disc numbers for NGS  XML
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Issues
Author Message
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

I've been playing around with Jaikoz 4 and the new NGS layout. Even as an autoeditor its difficult to get my head around tracklists, recordings, works, etc.

One thing i've noticed is that since NGS supports multiple CDs in a release it does not contain the disc numbers in the release title anymore, i.e.
Now That's What I Call Music! 77 (disc 1)
Now That's What I Call Music! 77 (disc 2)

Is reduced to simply:
Now That's What I Call Music! 77

I don't know why iTunes isn't smart enough to sort disc THEN track, so your left with all the tracks meshed together between the discs which is no good.

Perhaps a new checkbox in Options > Remote Correct > Format to add disc numbers back into the release title?

Thanks
Rob

Pro
[Avatar]
Joined: 02/05/2011 05:14:28
Messages: 21
Offline

As long as the "Disc No" tag is filled in correctly iTunes has no problems sorting the tracks in a multi-disc release.

It works fine in my tests with 4.0 beta 2, but I'm only grabbing data from Discogs so your mileage might vary.
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

Rob wrote:
As long as the "Disc No" tag is filled in correctly iTunes has no problems sorting the tracks in a multi-disc release.

It works fine in my tests with 4.0 beta 2, but I'm only grabbing data from Discogs so your mileage might vary. 


You may be right. It seems Jaikoz 4 has destroyed the tags. It has reset my disc numbers to all be "1 of 1" AND set each track artist to Various Artists.

This needs to be fixed.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

This should now be fixed in the latest beta

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:
This should now be fixed in the latest beta 


Cool, where can I get beta 2?
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

From http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/1927.page

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:
From http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/1927.page 



Almost working. The disc numbers are coming through correctly, but the total discs is being set to 1 on both discs. No doubt iTunes is not allowing "Disc 2 of 1" which is fair enough since it's illogical.

There is also the issue that disc titles may need to be appended, for example:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/dc11aad0-2b39-3cf8-923e-a0e3e9fc5518

However there is a silver lining, the track artists are not being replaced with "Various Artists" now.

On a totally unrelated question; how is the "Is Compilation" determined? For example:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/a2c1c036-ca24-4f10-9b73-8c853a0a3004

Which is listed under Various Artists and has track artists and yet Jaikoz does not qualify these tracks as part of a compilation?

Thanks for your hard work
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

chancey wrote:

Almost working. The disc numbers are coming through correctly, but the total discs is being set to 1 on both discs. No doubt iTunes is not allowing "Disc 2 of 1" which is fair enough since it's illogical.
 

Thanks, bug found a fixed.

chancey wrote:

There is also the issue that disc titles may need to be appended, for example:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/dc11aad0-2b39-3cf8-923e-a0e3e9fc5518
 

You mean to the title ? I dont see why.

chancey wrote:

However there is a silver lining, the track artists are not being replaced with "Various Artists" now.
 

Yes that was fixed in beta 2

chancey wrote:

On a totally unrelated question; how is the "Is Compilation" determined? For example:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/a2c1c036-ca24-4f10-9b73-8c853a0a3004
 

Another bug i was comparing release type 'Compilation' with 'compilation', without ignoring case, now fixed.

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:

chancey wrote:

There is also the issue that disc titles may need to be appended, for example:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/dc11aad0-2b39-3cf8-923e-a0e3e9fc5518
 

You mean to the title ? I dont see why. 


NGS supports multiple discs for the same release MBID which causes the "(disc X)" part of the title to be removed. There should be a checkbox in the preferences that rebuilds the disc name:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/dc11aad0-2b39-3cf8-923e-a0e3e9fc5518
Uses "CD 1: Light" and "CD 2: Dark" to restore "A State of Trance 2005 (disc 1: Light)" and "A State of Trance 2005 (disc 2: Dark)"

This is important for a lot of releases that have relevant information in the disc title, like composer for classical, the DJ for remix compilations, the location it was recorded, etc.

Of course "CD 1" could be "Digital Media 1", etc but the method is still the same.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

chancey wrote:

NGS supports multiple discs for the same release MBID which causes the "(disc X)" part of the title to be removed. There should be a checkbox in the preferences that rebuilds the disc name:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/dc11aad0-2b39-3cf8-923e-a0e3e9fc5518
Uses "CD 1: Light" and "CD 2: Dark" to restore "A State of Trance 2005 (disc 1: Light)" and "A State of Trance 2005 (disc 2: Dark)"

This is important for a lot of releases that have relevant information in the disc title, like composer for classical, the DJ for remix compilations, the location it was recorded, etc.

Of course "CD 1" could be "Digital Media 1", etc but the method is still the same. 

O I see , you mean the medium title, I can see why you want a title if there is one, but seems to be little point having the CD bit, wouldn't just "A State of Trance 2005 (Light)" and "A State of Trance 2005 (Dark)" be better. If we did it this way then not sure if even need an option or whether we would already do this, then if a multi-disc release didn't have a title then would be no bracketed part and all release title would be the same for both discs on the release.

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:

chancey wrote:

NGS supports multiple discs for the same release MBID which causes the "(disc X)" part of the title to be removed. There should be a checkbox in the preferences that rebuilds the disc name:
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/dc11aad0-2b39-3cf8-923e-a0e3e9fc5518
Uses "CD 1: Light" and "CD 2: Dark" to restore "A State of Trance 2005 (disc 1: Light)" and "A State of Trance 2005 (disc 2: Dark)"

This is important for a lot of releases that have relevant information in the disc title, like composer for classical, the DJ for remix compilations, the location it was recorded, etc.

Of course "CD 1" could be "Digital Media 1", etc but the method is still the same. 

O I see , you mean the medium title, I can see why you want a title if there is one, but seems to be little point having the CD bit, wouldn't just "A State of Trance 2005 (Light)" and "A State of Trance 2005 (Dark)" be better. If we did it this way then not sure if even need an option or whether we would already do this, then if a multi-disc release didn't have a title then would be no bracketed part and all release title would be the same for both discs on the release. 


"A State of Trance 2005 (Light)" doesn't provide sorting information (i.e. in this case disc 2 would appear before disc 1 since 'D' sorts before 'L').

One solution I guess is to use the Sort Album in iTunes, but then anyone not using iTunes would have the same sorting problem. Perhaps a compromise between both our suggestions - for multi-disc releases that do not have medium titles then no brackets. But if a disc does have a medium title it can use the format "Disc Title (disc X: Title)"?

This is effectively 3 possible options for the user.
1. Never split discs.
2. Split disc only if there is a medium title.
3. Always split discs.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

chancey wrote:

"A State of Trance 2005 (Light)" doesn't provide sorting information (i.e. in this case disc 2 would appear before disc 1 since 'D' sorts before 'L').
 

But wouldn't you just sort on the discno field ?

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:

chancey wrote:

"A State of Trance 2005 (Light)" doesn't provide sorting information (i.e. in this case disc 2 would appear before disc 1 since 'D' sorts before 'L').
 

But wouldn't you just sort on the discno field ? 


No because "A State of Trance 2005 (Light)" is a separate album from "A State of Trance 2005 (Dark)". iTunes (or any other media player) has no way of knowing they belong to the same album if they both have different album names.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

Gotcha.

Explain these options to me what does Split Discs/Never Split Discs mean, do you mean always add discno even if no info, never add discno , if so why do you want the first option because you can use the discno to sort in that case.

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:
Gotcha.

Explain these options to me what does Split Discs/Never Split Discs mean, do you mean always add discno even if no info, never add discno , if so why do you want the first option because you can use the discno to sort in that case. 


For example, these 2 releases (4 discs):
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/a2c1c036-ca24-4f10-9b73-8c853a0a3004
http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/release/dc11aad0-2b39-3cf8-923e-a0e3e9fc5518

Option 1: Never split discs (this is what it does at the moment):
Now That's What I Call Music! 77
A State of Trance 2005

Option 2: Split discs with a medium title:
Now That's What I Call Music! 77
A State of Trance 2005 (disc 1: Light)
A State of Trance 2005 (disc 2: Dark)

Option 3: Always split discs (emulates how the old musicbrainz would tag them)
Now That's What I Call Music! 77 (disc 1)
Now That's What I Call Music! 77 (disc 2)
A State of Trance 2005 (disc 1: Light)
A State of Trance 2005 (disc 2: Dark)

"Split" is maybe the wrong word for me to use. Hopefully you understand what I mean.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

Okay, thats how I understood it.

Sorry I meant to say why do you need the 3rd option, and I still dont see why you need it.

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:
Okay, thats how I understood it.

Sorry I meant to say why do you need the 3rd option, and I still dont see why you need it. 


A few reasons jump to mind;
1. Some people may prefer the way the disc numbers are in the album title and/or the file path.
2. Perhaps they have legacy or technical reasons why the disc number in in the tag is of no use to them. For example if they do not put the disc number in the file name and they have 2 discs that share the same title and track number (rare, but not impossible) then they have to deal with new problems.
3. Removing the disc numbers may affect hundreds or thousands of files in someones collection - which might make them hesitant to do.

Just because the schema has improved on musicbrainz doesn't mean that the way people are happy with doing now is "wrong" it just means there is a new option if they should so choose.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

Hmm, you have just about convinced me although I still think option 3 is a poor one, and should only be used for backwards compatability

thanks Paul (Administrator)
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

Right this is now done and availble to try out at http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/beta/start.jsp

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:
Right this is now done and availble to try out at http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/beta/start.jsp 


I have tested it with "Add Disc No to the release title if disc has title" and it seems to be working correctly. However there is a space missing before the medium title:
"A State of Trance 2005 (disc 1:Light)"
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7512
Online

Thx, fixed for final release.

thanks Paul (Administrator)
chancey

Pro

Joined: 10/03/2011 08:03:52
Messages: 32
Offline

paultaylor wrote:
Thx, fixed for final release. 


I realise this is not the right place to put it but if you have not already discovered it: the emails that send out notifications have an incorrect URL:

I get:
http://www.jaikoz.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/621961.page

When the real URL is:
http://www.jaikoz.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/15/1961.page
 
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Issues
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.6 © JForum Team