[Logo] Jaikoz and SongKong Forums
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Jaikoz 9.4.0 Released 8th December 2018  XML
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Announcements
Author Message
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7665
Offline

Full details at http://blog.jthink.net/2018/12/jaikoz-940-release.html

Expect new Jaikoz releases more regularly now.

thanks Paul (Administrator)
mogodon

Pro

Joined: 04/11/2013 14:17:04
Messages: 45
Offline

I've just installed this over 9.3.0 which was saying that I needed to pay for future upgrades, stupidly thinking that meant starting from v10 so I now have 9.4.0 running in temporary trial mode.

Is it possible to downgrade back to 9.3.0 to restore full functionality without losing my settings?
Paul Reid



Joined: 19/10/2013 01:20:32
Messages: 9
Offline

mogodon wrote:
I've just installed this over 9.3.0 which was saying that I needed to pay for future upgrades, stupidly thinking that meant starting from v10 so I now have 9.4.0 running in temporary trial mode.

Is it possible to downgrade back to 9.3.0 to restore full functionality without losing my settings? 


+1`to this. Can I turn back time?
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7665
Offline

I would advise updating since there a lot of fixes to how Jaikoz writes metadata to files that may have an effect when using your metadata with other applications, paying for a version update will give you at least a year of all new versions not just this one.

Instructions for Windows

If you want to go back to earlier version you should first of all remove existing version of Jaikoz because on Windows the installer wont overwrite newer files with older files, on Windows the easiest thing to do is simply delete the C:/Program Files/Jthink/Jaikoz folder. This will not delete your your license or settings as these are stored in C:\Users\username\Jaikoz. However after reinstalling earlier version it will not be able to understand the later settings so will replace with defaults on start up. The way round this is to retrieve your C:\Users\username\Jaikoz\settings.jai file from backup and replace after install to get your original settings back.

(one of the improvements we wil be making is storing settings in a plain text file)

thanks Paul (Administrator)
mogodon

Pro

Joined: 04/11/2013 14:17:04
Messages: 45
Offline

I'm not against paying for upgrades, however doing it on a yearly rather version basis relies on the developer actually making new versions within that time frame.

For example had I bought one year of upgrades for Jaikoz this time last year I would have only gone from v9.3 to v9.4/9.4.1. Not really a massive change in functionality.

However Songkong has gone from 4.13 to 5.13 in that time period and has added a tonne of new features.

Do you have a roadmap of Jaikoz releases for the next year to date to help me decied how to proceed?
Paul Reid



Joined: 19/10/2013 01:20:32
Messages: 9
Offline

Thanks for your courtesy in replying. I'll have a think about your suggestion.
regards
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7665
Offline

mogodon wrote:
I'm not against paying for upgrades, however doing it on a yearly rather version basis relies on the developer actually making new versions within that time frame.

For example had I bought one year of upgrades for Jaikoz this time last year I would have only gone from v9.3 to v9.4/9.4.1. Not really a massive change in functionality.

However Songkong has gone from 4.13 to 5.13 in that time period and has added a tonne of new features.

Do you have a roadmap of Jaikoz releases for the next year to date to help me decied how to proceed? 

Hi, yes Jaikoz has been very quiet this year, and that is because firstly I had alot of committments related to SongKong work, and secondly I wasn't sure on my Jaikoz plans. But now the version updates model has made Jaikoz more viable I am excited to get back into Jaikoz, and plan one release every 3 months.

We did publish the Jaikoz X roadmap last year - http://blog.jthink.net/2017/10/jaikoz-x-technical-road-map.html I apologize for being behind schedule but this broadly describes the new features and improvements I want to add to Jaikoz this year.

Although it has been quiet this year I think the yearly basis is better than version basis, since whether something is a major versions is rather arbitary whereas passing a fee for one year of updates at least defines a clear time period.



thanks Paul (Administrator)
springdream



Joined: 31/12/2018 06:31:13
Messages: 2
Offline

Hi, I purchased a "lifetime" version in 2012 and OK, I got a lot of updates meanwhile. So, when I understand it correctly that will be changed into a yearly license...
I mean if it cannot be maintained anymore than this is the way to go. Otherwise there should be some bonus to the "old" users that purchased a lifetime license?!
Best,
Martin
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7665
Offline

Hi, its not really a 'yearly license' since whatever version you have will continue to work after the year. Yes it is a change for old users, but we have provided free versions for over ten years, a lifetime in software terms.

thanks Paul (Administrator)
springdream



Joined: 31/12/2018 06:31:13
Messages: 2
Offline

I am going to get a 3years one then... ;-)
mogodon

Pro

Joined: 04/11/2013 14:17:04
Messages: 45
Offline

springdream wrote:
I am going to get a 3years one then... ;-) 


Can you still buy a 3 year license? I was going to the same but I don't see any option other than 1 year.
mogodon

Pro

Joined: 04/11/2013 14:17:04
Messages: 45
Offline

springdream wrote:
I am going to get a 3years one then... ;-) 


Can you still buy a 3 year license? I was going to the same but I don't see any option other than 1 year.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7665
Offline

Yes, its not on the main payment page, but is available on the page that you can click on via Jaikoz, namely this page - http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/buy/buy_version_updates.jsp

thanks Paul (Administrator)
mogodon

Pro

Joined: 04/11/2013 14:17:04
Messages: 45
Offline

Cool. thx for that.
 
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Announcements
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.6 © JForum Team