[Logo] Jaikoz and SongKong Forums
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Basic Field Editing Process  XML
Forum Index -> General
Author Message
jdhill93



Joined: 18/11/2012 16:23:38
Messages: 1
Offline

This seems a simple issue, but no luck in the manual or forums so far.
For example, I simply want to correct a bunch of song tags for a single field, let's say the comment field. There are various entries now, but I want to delete the comment entries for them all.

A. If I select the comment for a single tag and enter delete, it deletes the comment for that tag. Fine.

B. If I select the comments for multiple tags and enter delete, it deletes the comment for only the last tag selected. Not good. No benefit to multiple selection.

C. If I select comments for a single or multiple tags and delete via right click/delete or the menu edit/delete, it deletes the entire row entry(ies). Not Good. There is no indication that entire rows are selected for the delete operation as opposed to just the comment field entries. Also, there is no indication as to what is actually being deleted. Is it just deleting the tag data in the database, or the entire song datafile on my disk?

D. If the selected comment entries are the same, the Detail Pane show the entry and I can select that entry there, push delete, and the deed is done. Fine.

E. If the selected comment entries are different, however, the Detail Pane shows a blank and I can find no way to delete the data there. Entering delete or backspace has no effect. Only workaround I've found is to enter something, say X which inserts an X in each tag, and then revert to method D above. Again, a slow process.

Any help here would be welcome. Thanks.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7485
Online

jdhill93 wrote:

B. If I select the comments for multiple tags and enter delete, it deletes the comment for only the last tag selected. Not good. No benefit to multiple selection.
 

Yes detail panel only ever shows metadata from one song, Ive never liked the way iTunes does it because its not clear what youy are modifying when try to show a merged viiew of multiple songs.

jdhill93 wrote:

C. If I select comments for a single or multiple tags and delete via right click/delete or the menu edit/delete, it deletes the entire row entry(ies). Not Good. There is no indication that entire rows are selected for the delete operation as opposed to just the comment field entries. Also, there is no indication as to what is actually being deleted. Is it just deleting the tag data in the database, or the entire song datafile on my disk?
 

No, right-click menu/delete is the correct option to pick rather than right-click menu/Delete/Delete Files which is what I think you are doing.
Although rest-assured all edits you make including deletes are just in memory until you actually save changes.

jdhill93 wrote:

D. If the selected comment entries are the same, the Detail Pane show the entry and I can select that entry there, push delete, and the deed is done. Fine.
 

Detail is just showing one song.

jdhill93 wrote:

E. If the selected comment entries are different, however, the Detail Pane shows a blank and I can find no way to delete the data there. Entering delete or backspace has no effect. Only workaround I've found is to enter something, say X which inserts an X in each tag, and then revert to method D above. Again, a slow process.
 

Sorry, I dont understand this, what do you mean comments are different, comments in two different songs, or an mp3 containing multiple comments ?
dkoh

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 05/06/2010 15:02:29
Messages: 246
Location: NorCal, US
Offline

paultaylor wrote:

jdhill93 wrote:

B. If I select the comments for multiple tags and enter delete, it deletes the comment for only the last tag selected. Not good. No benefit to multiple selection.
 

Yes detail panel only ever shows metadata from one song, Ive never liked the way iTunes does it because its not clear what youy are modifying when try to show a merged viiew of multiple songs.
 


I think jdhill is referring to the Comments field in the Edit pane, not the Details pane. I still find myself doing this occasionally also. Like Excel, I select a range and hit delete and expect the range to be deleted, but only the last one is deleted.

To me it makes sense if you select fields and immediately hit delete, those fields are deleted. If you use the Details pane and clear out the Comment field, it would only clear for that one track, like you mentioned.

jdhill93 wrote:

C. If I select comments for a single or multiple tags and delete via right click/delete or the menu edit/delete, it deletes the entire row entry(ies). Not Good. There is no indication that entire rows are selected for the delete operation as opposed to just the comment field entries. Also, there is no indication as to what is actually being deleted. Is it just deleting the tag data in the database, or the entire song datafile on my disk?
 


You need to keep in mind that the toolbar always applies to everything regardless of what you have selected, and the right-click context menu only applies to what you have selected.

The only way to delete the physical file is to 'Delete File' or 'Delete Duplicates'. Hopefully you have the Status column enabled, where the purple indicates changes, deleted files will become red and will only be deleted upon Saving. You can also undelete if you delete by mistake. Once you are aware of the red status, there should be no confusion.

jdhill93 wrote:

E. If the selected comment entries are different, however, the Detail Pane shows a blank and I can find no way to delete the data there. Entering delete or backspace has no effect. Only workaround I've found is to enter something, say X which inserts an X in each tag, and then revert to method D above. Again, a slow process.
 


I don't get this either (maybe the last field in your selection is blank?), but I think you're taking the slow route with Jaikoz. If you want to copy - say, comments - select the first comment, ctrl+c, select all the other cells, ctrl+v (or RMB>copy and paste). It's a standard OS copy too, so you can copy comments from last.fm and paste them into Jaikoz. You can also drag one field to another to make a quick instance copy.

If you need to make a quick text edit in a field, just double-click that field and directly edit it.

To delete, you should be selecting individual fields and RMB>Delete. Keep in mind that you can drag ranges for selection or ctrl+click individual fields. Dragging a range and then unselecting a single cell doesn't work properly, though. You have to ctrl+drag two ranges around what you want to exclude.

There are also column headers that you can use to fill or clear the entire column. RMB on the header (eg. "Album") and you'll see paste and empty.

I say all this cos it sounds like you're using the Details panel for a lot of your editing. In fact, very little is done down there and the bulk of your raw editing is done in the Edit panel Excel-style.
dkoh

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 05/06/2010 15:02:29
Messages: 246
Location: NorCal, US
Offline

Something I forgot to mention, since you're dealing with Comments:

Pasting a Comment with line breaks in the Edit pane is treated as multi-value. So if you were to copy the entire biography from http://www.allmusic.com/artist/metallica-mn0000446509 and pasted them into a selected range in the Edit pane, you would get a different paragraph in each cell. In this case you would go to the Info tab, paste the entire comment for one track, then copy/paste the rest of the values in the Edit pane.

-----------------------------------
Windows 7 64-bit
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
AMD AthlonII X3 3.20 GHz
8.0GB RAM
Nvidia 8800 GTX
Back to 5.1.1 NGS (320 & FLAC)
 
Forum Index -> General
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.6 © JForum Team