[Logo] Jaikoz and SongKong Forums
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Replace Artist field with file name  XML
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Questions
Author Message
Anonymous



Hello,

I'm trying to rename the Artist field with the filename (minus the ".mp3") for a big folder full of MP3s.

Example:
File name: ABC123.mp3
Artist: Elevator Musicians R Us

___turns into this:

File name: ABC123.mp3
Artist: ABC123

Can Jaikoz do this? If yes, how?

Any help much appreciated.

If Jaikoz can't do it. Any suggestions for other software would be much appreciated.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7361
Offline

Hi, it cant quite be done with the current version , BUT it is possible with the version currently in development, this should be released by Monday so Ill tell you how you'll be able to do it , whilst I think of it.

You can't do it with the 'Tag from Filename' because this only provides an automatic mapping at the moment from Filename to tag depending upon the data it finds on a per tag basis, but you can do it with the editing functions.

Select all your artist fields , right click 'Delete'
Drag the Artist column so that it is next to the 'Filename' column
Select all fields in both columns, right click 'Prepend to Right', this will copy the value from the filename field into the corresponding artist field, row by row.
Open Find/Replace, and limit the column to 'Artist', select to find .mp3 and replace with . , and select 'Replace All'
Run 'Correct Album' to remove the .

Your'e done


thanks Paul (Administrator)
Anonymous



sweetness! I look forward to monday! Many thanks!
Anonymous



I downloaded the new version and started following your instructions. One thing has changed though. Instead of replacing the "Artist" field, I'd like to replace, what iTunes calls, the "Album Artist" field. I'm pretty sure this field is called "" by Jaikoz. So my first question is, given my change of plans, is there anything different I need to know?

The right-click "Prepend to Right" command is greyed-out for me. Could it be because I'm using the MacOSX version?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Anonymous



Oops, posted that last one too fast. I meant to write:
I'm pretty sure this field is called "Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment" by Jaikoz.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7361
Offline

Anonymous wrote:
I downloaded the new version and started following your instructions. One thing has changed though. Instead of replacing the "Artist" field, I'd like to replace, what iTunes calls, the "Album Artist" field. I'm pretty sure this field is called "" by Jaikoz. So my first question is, given my change of plans, is there anything different I need to know?

The right-click "Prepend to Right" command is greyed-out for me. Could it be because I'm using the MacOSX version?

Thanks a lot for your help. 

No difference, but prepend to right is only enabled when you have both columns selected, have you only selected fields in one column ?
Simon



Joined: 10/04/2007 16:35:07
Messages: 1
Offline

paultaylor wrote:
No difference, but prepend to right is only enabled when you have both columns selected, have you only selected fields in one column ? 


Ah ha! After selecting both columns, it works. Thanks very much. Now the problem is that the license will only let me save changes to 50 files at a time. I can't convince my boss that it's worth $20 so I'm stuck doing this over and over for 11,000 mp3s. Either that or I learn enough perl to whip something up with a cpan id3 module.

Any way you would sell me a special license for one day?
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7361
Offline

Simon wrote:
Now the problem is that the license will only let me save changes to 50 files at a time. I can't convince my boss that it's worth $20 so I'm stuck doing this over and over for 11,000 mp3s. Any way you would sell me a special license for one day? 


Hi Simon, I think $20 is a fair price to pay (especially if it is being used for commercial work !) - and I doubt very much that you would never need to use the product again after one day. You could always buy a license yourself, and then use it at work
Anonymous



paultaylor wrote:
Hi Simon, I think $20 is a fair price to pay (especially if it is being used for commercial work !) - and I doubt very much that you would never need to use the product again after one day. You could always buy a license yourself, and then use it at work  


I think $20 is a fair price too. Wish I could convince my boss otherwise. But his stinginess did force me to get creative and learn something new. I hacked together a script that did the job using id3v2:

Code:
 #!/bin/sh
 
 for file in "$@"
 do
    # Strip directory and extension of each file.
    in_base=${file##*/}
    in_noext=${in_base%.*}
 
    # Tag each file's ID3 field "Album Artist" (a.k.a.-"Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment") with the file name
    /opt/local/bin/id3v2 --TPE2 "$in_noext" "${file}"
 done
 


Sorry I couldn't support jaikoz this time around. Thanks for you time and help. Take care.
 
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Questions
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.6 © JForum Team