[Logo] Jaikoz and SongKong Forums
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Several enhancement requests  XML
Forum Index -> SongKong Issues
Author Message
dbaps

Pro

Joined: 24/07/2012 17:16:07
Messages: 39
Offline

Make the report optional. When I get an error sometimes I don't want to wait for the report. Just ask at the end, do you want the report.

Lots of corruption database errors. I have multiple machines, perhaps that has something to do with it. I don't know. I know this is open-ended and without my files you can't really help. I will start send them to you.

Put a bandwidth meter in the software so that if I use multiple machines, the grand total stays below the through-put limit rather than blowing up.

Extreme slow processing- very inconsistent on both Windows and Macs.

Even though this software is trying to make things as simple as possible, is there a way to minimize the time that the bandwidth restriction is active? For example, can we use our own MB database and search server? Can any of the processing that is tied up in the bandwidth limitation routine be pulled out and put somewhere else in the processing because it does not apply?

I started watching what this software is actually doing on the network. Sometimes it's accessing or trying to access over 100 ip addresses according to "Little Snitch."

What am I losing with a corrupt database? What I mean by that is the following:

Is processing more efficient when there is data in the database?
Is the quality of the data better because it has part of my collection in this database?

I am going back to just using one machine. I love the software. I hate the errors (lol). I know you told me once to run Songkong first, then run Jaikoz afterward.

I apologize if this is showing my level of frustration. I probably should write this later but will forget what I want to say.

Thanks for all that you do!
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7361
Offline

dbaps wrote:
Make the report optional. When I get an error sometimes I don't want to wait for the report. Just ask at the end, do you want the report.
 

But you can cancel the report, and creating a report even if you cancel it it useful for reporting errors.

dbaps wrote:

Lots of corruption database errors. I have multiple machines, perhaps that has something to do with it. I don't know. I know this is open-ended and without my files you can't really help. I will start send them to you.
 

I assume you are not trying to share the database between machines are you that certainly won't work.

dbaps wrote:

Put a bandwidth meter in the software so that if I use multiple machines, the grand total stays below the through-put limit rather than blowing up.
 

If you use multiple machines at the same time then you'll going to have problems because although I enforce a 1 second per request limit per instance of the software Musicbrainz enforces the limit per ipaddress , and you r multiple machines probably (though not necessarily) look like one machine to MusicBrainz - so MusicBrainz keeps blocking requests. Until this limit imposed by MusicBrainz is removed its not really practible to run multiple copies at the same time.

dbaps wrote:

Extreme slow processing- very inconsistent on both Windows and Macs.
 

Which is probably causng this issue.

dbaps wrote:

Even though this software is trying to make things as simple as possible, is there a way to minimize the time that the bandwidth restriction is active? For example, can we use our own MB database and search server?
 

Not currently, but I think I should add this in so Ive raised http://jthink.net:8081/browse/SONGKONG-256

dbaps wrote:

Can any of the processing that is tied up in the bandwidth limitation routine be pulled out and put somewhere else in the processing because it does not apply?
 

The limitation is the bandwidth limitation, thats what slows things down a bit, but if you try and get round it by having multiple machines then it slows down alot more.

dbaps wrote:

I started watching what this software is actually doing on the network. Sometimes it's accessing or trying to access over 100 ip addresses according to "Little Snitch."
 

Not sure about there internal networks but basically Jaikoz contacts Musicbrainz/Disocgs/Acoustid/Amazon and the CoverArtarchive, does that help ?

dbaps wrote:

What am I losing with a corrupt database? What I mean by that is the following:

Is processing more efficient when there is data in the database?
 

Yes, because we don't have to redownload releases form Musicbfrainz that we have downloaded before.

dbaps wrote:

Is the quality of the data better because it has part of my collection in this database?
 

No.

dbaps wrote:

I am going back to just using one machine. I love the software. I hate the errors (lol). I know you told me once to run Songkong first, then run Jaikoz afterward.
 

Great, I think that is the best first step


thanks Paul (Administrator)
dbaps

Pro

Joined: 24/07/2012 17:16:07
Messages: 39
Offline

Sharing a database...An interesting idea though

Just turn off the write locks and watch the corruption reign in! That or deadlocks and database write waits...with timeouts

Thank you very much. I will let you know how it goes...

Paul
 
Forum Index -> SongKong Issues
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.6 © JForum Team