[Logo] Jaikoz and SongKong Forums
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
First use - some issues  XML
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Issues
Author Message
jfbeute



Joined: 15/05/2009 00:19:09
Messages: 4
Offline

Using Jaikoz 3 on Windows XP

When the album name contains & and the album name is used to create a directory name and file names the & is included in the file name causing problems in Windows (the O.S. won't allow the file names to be changed). I had to use the program again to remove the & from the album name anf regenerate the file names.

The tags in WMA files are not quite correct. The Windows Media Player 11 does recognize them but recodes them in some way (saving all songs again). Other programs will not recognize the album art until WMP has recoded them.

My ripping program incorrectly identified a CD and I have found no easy way to correct this problem with Jaikoz. MusicBrainz did know about the correct CD and I could find it there but I had to manually copy the album name to Jaikoz and blank all other columns to get Jaikoz to properly identify the CD an all tracks. An easier way to indicate an incorrectly identified CD would be convenient.
paultaylor

Pro
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/08/2006 09:21:27
Messages: 7842
Offline

jfbeute wrote:
Using Jaikoz 3 on Windows XP
When the album name contains & and the album name is used to create a directory name and file names the & is included in the file name causing problems in Windows (the O.S. won't allow the file names to be changed). I had to use the program again to remove the & from the album name anf regenerate the file names.
 

That's weird because I can create filenames with & on Windows and I have just retested it in Jaikoz without any problems. Please send me your support files (Advanced/Create Support Files) so I can take a closer look.

jfbeute wrote:

The tags in WMA files are not quite correct. The Windows Media Player 11 does recognize them but recodes them in some way (saving all songs again). Other programs will not recognize the album art until WMP has recoded them.
 

What program are you using that doesnt recognise the song unless played first by WMP ?

jfbeute wrote:

My ripping program incorrectly identified a CD and I have found no easy way to correct this problem with Jaikoz. MusicBrainz did know about the correct CD and I could find it there but I had to manually copy the album name to Jaikoz and blank all other columns to get Jaikoz to properly identify the CD an all tracks. An easier way to indicate an incorrectly identified CD would be convenient. 

If you have looked up the cd on Musicbrainz and found a match you can copy the MB release Id to the MB release Id field for all the tracks, blank out any incorrect MusicBrainz Unique Id values then run Update Tags from Musicbrainz to update all the other fields.
jfbeute



Joined: 15/05/2009 00:19:09
Messages: 4
Offline

paultaylor wrote:

jfbeute wrote:
Using Jaikoz 3 on Windows XP
When the album name contains & and the album name is used to create a directory name and file names the & is included in the file name causing problems in Windows (the O.S. won't allow the file names to be changed). I had to use the program again to remove the & from the album name anf regenerate the file names.
 

That's weird because I can create filenames with & on Windows and I have just retested it in Jaikoz without any problems. Please send me your support files (Advanced/Create Support Files) so I can take a closer look.
 

Sorry the problem isn't with specific characters but just with too long a file name. In classic music the name of the album and the name of the track can be extremely long. Combining them to a filename creates a name that is way too long for Windows, causing problems both in the applications (which simply ignore these files) and within Windows (which no longer allows changing the name). When creating a filename you will have to terminate the name to the maximum length supported by the OS.

paultaylor wrote:

jfbeute wrote:

The tags in WMA files are not quite correct. The Windows Media Player 11 does recognize them but recodes them in some way (saving all songs again). Other programs will not recognize the album art until WMP has recoded them.
 

What program are you using that doesnt recognise the song unless played first by WMP ?
 

I am using TouchTone as a jukebox and was using Windows Media Player 11 as a ripping program. I was ripping to the WMA lossless format. Currently reconsidering the ripping program and format. TouchTone was selected after testing several jukebox programs and this was the only one that worked (somewhat) properly on the ASUS EEE 1602 Top. TouchTone will stay, the rest will have to adapt. WMP simply ignores any changes made by Jaikoz and will restructure the files to the old directory structure (as stored in its database while ripping the CD) losing all tags it doesn't like. The identification by WMP of the CD while ripping is unreliable for obscure CD's and can not be changed. Still trying to find a proper ripping program.

paultaylor wrote:

jfbeute wrote:

My ripping program incorrectly identified a CD and I have found no easy way to correct this problem with Jaikoz. MusicBrainz did know about the correct CD and I could find it there but I had to manually copy the album name to Jaikoz and blank all other columns to get Jaikoz to properly identify the CD an all tracks. An easier way to indicate an incorrectly identified CD would be convenient. 

If you have looked up the cd on Musicbrainz and found a match you can copy the MB release Id to the MB release Id field for all the tracks, blank out any incorrect MusicBrainz Unique Id values then run Update Tags from Musicbrainz to update all the other fields.  

Somehow this doesn't really work for me. What I am missing is a means to indicate to Jaikoz that I ripped a CD and that the tracks do all belong together and are in the order as ripped. The program must not tell me that the tracks belong to another release or are in a different order. I did rip the CD so if the program believes something is wrong it simply hasn't found the right release. Personally I think the order of resolving the issues for automatic problem solving is incorrect. First establish a fingerpring for all numbers. Then check if any release with this number of tracks in this order and with these fingerprints is known. If it is known the release is identified. If not alternate solutions can be found but when a single release is being processed (possibly a flag in the program) the order of tracks should never be changed nor should the program suggest that the numbers belong to different releases. When I rip a CD I know the tracks belong together and are in the right order (as far as the actual songs and length of the tracks are concerned), the titles may be wrong (I have noticed this on some CD's where the box didn't match the actual CD). I hate it when a computer program refuses to beleive me and corrects me without me having any way to tell the program that it shouldn't be that stubborn.

Finally I did notice that your preference window doesn't scale properly on small screens ( 1366 x 788 ). It is hard to actually get the save butten on the screen.
jfbeute



Joined: 15/05/2009 00:19:09
Messages: 4
Offline

After testing the available rippers I settled on Winamp 5.5 pro with the mp3 format. This solved the ripping problems (no longer any incorrectly recognized CD's).
Currently everything works as hoped for. I can use Jaikoz to fix the occasional problem in the ripped content (inconsistent genre usage, a few mix ups with song titles and artists, etc.). When cover art is assigned in Winamp it is placed in the directory and shows up in TouchTone. Ripping is now almost production line work with just a few small challenges to keep the boredom away.
 
Forum Index -> Jaikoz Issues
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.6 © JForum Team